Auto configuration (Auto provisioning)
Auto-configuration is the automatic configuration of devices without manual intervention, without any need for software configuration programs or jumpers.
Ideally, auto-configuring devices should just "plug and play".
Configurations are negotiated at system initialization time.
This feature is also known as "Zero-touch-provisioning".
See here for more info about the Gigaset Auto provisioning functionality.
High level communication flow
- Read MAC address and ID from device.
- Login to the Gigaset redirect server to add info about:
- Device (Mac+ID)
- Own server URL
- Add configuration file (XML) to own server
- Device comes online
- Connects to Gigaset server
- Gigaset asks for Username and Password
- Connects to Gigaset server with integrated username and Password (Programmed in factory)
- Device connects to Own server
- Device downloads xml file if no HTTP digest is used or
- If server requests HTTP digest username and Password
- Then device connects again using manual configured HTTP digest username and Password.
- Device downloads xml file if no HTTP digest is used.
Security: HTTP digest
HTTP Digest access authentication is one of the agreed-upon methods a device can use to negotiate credentials with a HTTP server to increase the security. This extra security can also be used during the HTTP Auto provisioning process.